Tuesday, August 12, 2008

School Is Fast Approaching.







We are only 14 days away from the first day of school. I must say I am ready for it! I think by the end of the summer the kids are starting to need a little more structure to their days. And I am certainly ready for a bit of alone time. With a big family that is something that I rarely get. This year I will have kids in kindergarten, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 8th, 10th and 11th grade. And my 20 year old will be attending our local community college. I also have a son who will be leaving soon for the Air Force Reserves to start training as a PJ. So lots of transitions in the days ahead. We have never done much in the past with sports activities but I will have 2 kids playing flag football, 1 in wrestling, and 2 trying out for volleyball and basketball. Thank God for a husband who is self employed. This year will mark the first year that all my kids will be in school full time. Gideon has attended a special education preschool for 3 years now, but this year he will be in a full time Life Skills class. There are an abundance of teachers and only 9 kids K through 6th grade so he will get a lot of learning time. He is a very social little boy and loves school. He has no fear of strangers and has always loved getting on the little yellow school bus. So this is a mile stone year for me and I know I am ready for it. I have been raising kids for nearly 30 years and homeschooled my oldest 6 exclusively and needless to say I am ready for some space in my day. But don't start feeling sorry for me, I do a lot of watching the grandkids and so I guess we move from one phase of life to another. Thank God for His blessings!

3 comments:

sherriknits said...

I really enjoyed my visit....you have a wonderful family and wow, all those grandchildren! We're waiting for our first grandchild any day now!

Ulli said...

you are really blessed with all of your kids. Your youngest looks like he really knows how to wrap you around the finger.
Can I link to your blog?

Ulli, who also loves to knit, and also has a 47-kid

Anonymous said...

Wow, folks think I have a lot of kids (only 7), LOL. I love your blog, wandered over from Ravelry. Just curious if you might tell me when and why you decided to send you children to school? We currently homeschool, but it is something I'm thinking about.
Thanks,
Jessica
www.sillygoosemama.blogspot.com